Labor Day weekend is here and for many that means the back to school season is upon us. Unfortunately the new school year can bring on new acne breakouts, thanks to stress. The fun, careless days of summer are over and stress is everywhere with pop-up tests, friendship drama and new teachers. Stress can play a huge role in acne breakouts. When you’re stressed, your hormone levels rise in your body and this in turn produces more sebum, which when combined with dead skin cells and bacteria, will clog the hair follicles and lead to a pimple or an acne cyst.
Luckily, there are ways to beat stress and to fight acne during school hours. Here, Clear Clinic’s tips on treating acne in high school and beyond:
- When you feel stress coming on, take a few deep breaths. Breathe in through your nose and slowly exhale through your mouth.
- Seek out healthy ways to de-stress, such as taking a walk, doing yoga or calling a friend.
- Don’t overdo it on sugary carbohydrates or on dairy products. Stick to a diet with whole grains and vegetables and your skin will thank you.
- Bring blotting papers and cleansing pads to school with you. Look for a pad that contains salicylic acid. If you’re going to gym class or have sports after school, it’s important to cleanse your skin properly afterwards.
- Make an appointment to see a dermatologist. Here at Clear Clinic, many or our patients are in their teens and come to us for in-office procedures such as Isolaz Acne Therapy, Blue Light Therapy and chemical peels to help get rid of their acne. These treatments make a tremendous difference in the treatment of acne.
To find out how students are getting rid of their acne scar, read this.