As you contemplate your New Year’s resolutions, starting the year with clear skin is certain to make your list. Maybe this will be the year that you visit a dermatologist to clear your pesky acne, or perhaps this will be the year that you finally stick to a consistent skin care regimen. Whatever the goal, here are a few acne beating tips to start the new year with clear skin:
- Wash your face in the morning and the evening: Washing in the morning helps to clean oil and debris from your skin that accumulated during the evening. Washing at the end of the day removes oil and dirt from the day’s activities. If washing twice a day is too drying for your skin, switch to a gentle cleanser (such as Cerave Hydrating Cleanser) that delivers moisture to your skin as you cleanse.
- Pack your gym bag with a salicylic acid cleanser: Use a salicylic acid cleanser to the face and body after exercising, in order to clean the skin and prevent clogged pores from exercising.
- Pay attention to your hair: Hair products, such as gels and creams, can transfer to your skin and clog your pores. Men and women with bangs must take special care to keep hair products off of their skin.
- No picking: Picking at your acne causes more inflammation on the skin, which can lead to the development of acne scars.
- Invest properly: Using an at-home acne device (such as the Clarisonic cleansing brush or Tria blue light) can make more difference than 5 separate OTC acne creams combined.