There are many good ingredients on the market that fight acne, including old standbys like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. One of the lesser known acne-fighting ingredients is tea tree oil. Here, 5 facts to know about tea tree oil and why it’s an effective skin treatment in the fight against acne:
1. Tea Tree Oil is an essential oil extracted from the leaves of the Australian tree, Melaleuca Alternifolia.
2. Tea Tree Oil has been shown to have antiseptic properties, which makes it effective in killing the bacteria associated with acne.
3. Studies have shown that Tea Tree Oil has fewer side effects than benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of acne, but it also takes longer to produce results.
4. Applying undiluted Tea Tree Oil to acne lesions may cause irritation. Instead, mix it with water or find an acne product containing Tea Tree Oil.
5. Tea Tree Oil should never be ingested, it has a high toxicity profile. Tea Tree Oil is only for topical use.