It’s officially back to school! This week marks the first day back for many students across the nation. There’s no better time to get a fresh start on you and your kids’ skincare regimen. We asked Julie Zuckerman, one of Clear Clinic’s star personal acne coaches for her best tips for kicking off the new school year with a clear complexion. Here are her top 10 tips to remember for getting–and keeping–acne-free skin throughout the whole school year.
10. CRUNCH TIME: The slow summer pace is coming to an end and that’s why it’s even more important to get back into a routine! While setting an alarm again may take some getting used to, it’s crucial not to skimp on your morning steps. Make sure to leave yourself enough time to wash, apply medications and moisturize before leaving the house.
9. STAY SPF-PROTECTED: Even though you may be stuck in the classroom, it’s important to add an SPF to your daily skincare routine. Opt for a moisturizer with at least SPF 20 for everyday use and add a broad spectrum SPF 30-50 on top of makeup if you’ll be running outside from class to class.
8. SHAKE THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR SKIN: If you wear foundation, it’s probably time to retire the one you’ve been using all summer. New season, new foundation! Most people are unaware that bacteria start to build after months of use so the rule is to start fresh with foundation every three months.
7. HIT THE “SPOT”: Don’t overuse medication even with school stress-induced breakouts. A pea size amount is all you need, so spread it thin and don’t dry yourself out!
6. THE BREAKOUT BATTLEFIELD: Did you know that your hands carry an average of 800,000 germs every day? When you touch your face, you’re exposing yourself to harmful bacteria that cause breakouts. A few quick fixes are to sleep in gloves, never pick your face if you see a blemish and cover large magnifying mirrors. In addition to your dermatologist, your Personal Acne Coach should be the only “hands” allowed near your face.
5. THE BUILD-UP: Like your hair, your face, back and chest can easily be the target of product build-up. Be aware of which hair care products, and the amount, you’re using as oils can layer on top of each other making it hard for your skin to breathe ultimately causing breakouts.
4. DON’T PLAY DIRTY: The key to keeping a clear complexion is fairly simple – by washing your face thoroughly twice every day with a gentle cleanser, you’re doubling your deep, bacteria-fighting facial cleaning. Incorporate a Clarisonic for an extra exfoliation. And also be sure to remove all your makeup before hitting the pillows!
3. WORKOUT WARRIOR: If you’re active in after-school sports, you’re aware of the sweaty situations you find yourself in. Because breakouts can also be caused by sweat, it’s important to combat perspiration before and after it starts. One swipe of Clear Clinic’s ClearMe pads can keep breakouts at bay.
2. DON’T DRY OUT: Many acne medications can be drying and your skin may rebound by producing more breakout-building oils. Even if you’re sweaty or hot, it’s key to continue moisturizing and hydrating your skin with a “noncomedogenic” moisturizer.
1. GO TEAM!: Just like your sports coach, your Personal Acne Coach is there to help, guide and provide support for you – especially in times of hardship. Even when you’re busy between classes, extracurricular activities and enjoying a social life, it’s crucial to keep your Personal Acne Coach up to date with your skin’s state of affairs. They could be seeing signs of acne that you’re missing or provide you with different treatment options you haven’t considered.