Acne breakouts can seem like a mystery, always popping up at the exact wrong time. The cause of acne is multifactorial, Hormones play a big role in the formation of acne. When the hormone androgen increases, so does sebum production, leading to breakouts. You see, the P. Acnes bacteria lives on everyone skin–along with a whole host of other organisms–but when the skin becomes overrun with sebum, the acne bacteria then gets trapped inside the follicle along with dead skin cells, causing an acne lesion (aka acne vulgaris).
At Clear Clinic, we recommend our patients use proven acne bacteria fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide, to stop breakouts. But what about those lesser known tricks to fighting acne? Here, some secrets we’ve heard from patients who swear by them:
- Change your pillow cases on a regular basis. Our pillow cases collect bacteria and dead skin cells, which can clog the pores and contribute to further acne breakouts.
- Wash your hands before you touch your face. The bacteria and oils on your fingers could exacerbate your acne lesions.
- Use an alcohol swab to rub down your cell phone and cleanse it of any oils and bacteria. The same idea as with your fingers.
- Eat a healthy, low-sugar, low carbohydrate diet. Some studies have shown that carbohydrates can contribute to acne breakouts.
- Don’t stress! Stress can release hormones in the body and cause acne breakouts.
- Drink a lot of water — about three liters a day. Water will help moisturize the skin from the inside out and will help your body flush out any toxins.