Just because your teenager has developed acne, doesn’t mean that you need to sit back and let them suffer. As the parents of a teenager, you have the opportunity to help your teen get the clear skin that they want so badly! Below are Dr. Schweiger’s tips for moms with teenagers who have acne.
- Encourage good skin care: Help your teen to get in the habit of cleansing their face in the morning and evening, with a cleansing brush at least once a day if possible. Remind your teen to apply any acne medications prescribed by their dermatologist prior to bed.
- Discourage picking: Explain to your teenager that picking at their acne just makes the pimple stick around longer and can lead to permanent scarring.
- Visit the dermatologist together: Accompany your teen to their dermatology appointments, so that you are able to hear the recommendations of the dermatologist and discuss them with your teen. In-office laser treatments for acne can be beneficial for teenagers with acne, so you will want to discuss this with the dermatologist during the consultation.
- Purchase sunscreen: It is important that teenagers who are being treated for acne wear sunscreen, so that they do not develop a sunburn while using acne medications and undergoing treatments that make them more sun sensitive.
- Pay attention to diet: Recent studies suggest that diet may play a role in the development of acne in teenage boys. Pay attention to the correlation between your teen’s diet and their acne; if you notice that they go hand in hand, encourage them to stick with a healthier diet.