Does Shaving Cause Acne?
New Acne Treatment Found in Genetic Research
Acne Tips for New YorkersWhile New Yorkers desire clear, acne-free skin as much as anyone in the country, they face some unique obstacles in this quest. New York acne expert, Dr. Schweiger, reviews his best acne tips for New Yorkers:
- Even after a busy day, its important to cleanse your skin. Pollution in the air can clog your pores and contribute to the formation of acne. It is important to go to sleep every night with clean skin. The Clarisonic brush is a great option for busy New Yorkers, because it offers complete cleansing in only two minutes. Additionally, the Clarisonic brush cleans dirt and oil from the pores more than six times better than traditional face washing alone.
- Sun protection is important, even while in the city. While walking from the subway to work, or catching a cab on the corner, you are exposed to the sun in small increments. This can add up to significant sun damage over years. Acne medications, such as topical retinoids, can cause increased sun sensitivity. For this reason, it is important to wear a daily moisturizer with sun protection.
- There is no need to put up with an unexpected pimple. The Clear Clinic is open every day for last minute cortisone injections, which can flatten out a pimple within 24-48 hours!
Adult Acne Treatment in Wall Street Journal
What is a Personal Acne Coach?
5 Tips for Clear SkinHere are acne expert Dr. Schweiger's Top 5 Tips for Clear Skin:
- Follow your acne routine diligently. Acne cannot be cleared overnight, so you must be dedicated to your acne treatment routine. Acne medications, even OTC medications, are not meant to be used once in a while - the key is regular use, to prevent acne from ever coming up!
- Skin care is important. Consistent use of an anti-acne cleanser or a gentle cleanser will help to keep your pores clear, so that acne-causing bacteria is not attracted to the area. It is also important to use a moisturizer daily, as many acne medications can otherwise cause dryness on the skin. Choose a moisturizer labeled 'non-comedogenic' to ensure that it won't clog your pores.
- Don't try to pop your pimples. Popping or picking at acne can actually cause more inflammation on the skin, which may cause the pimple to stick around longer that it otherwise would.
- Don't go at it alone. Even though there are endless OTC acne treatments available, they are not as effective as prescription treatments that your dermatologist can recommend. Visit a dermatologist before your acne becomes more severe and begins to cause scarring on your skin.
- Invest in a cleansing brush. Cleansing brushes, like the Clarisonic Pro, are available at your dermatologist's office. They have been clinically proven to clean the pores up to 6 times better than traditional face washing!
Celebrity Acne SecretDuring the award season, its easy to notice that none of the celebrities have acne on their skin when they walk the red carpet. While prevention of acne is the key to clear skin, they certainly must have some celebrity acne secret for dealing with those unwanted pimples that come up on the day of a big event. Dr. Schweiger explains that, "The best celebrity acne secret is actually something that anyone can do. Celebrities all have a trusted dermatologist who they can visit on the day of a big event, in order to have a cortisone injection." A cortisone injection is a tiny shot directly into the pimple. It doesn't hurt (it feels like a tiny pinch) and does not make you look worse before it starts helping. The injection contains an anti-inflammatory medication called triamcinolone, which quickly flattens out the pimple by decreasing the inflammation in the skin. In most cases, the pimple will be flat within 24 hours after it is treated. Clear Clinic reserves appointments for walk-in cortisone injections, since we know that unwanted pimples are not the type of thing you can plan for! Additionally, we are even open on weekends, in order to provide this service to patients who have a pimple pop up on the day of a big event. Click here to learn more about this celebrity acne secret.
Is Acne Caused By Bacteria?
Tips for Treating Backne
- Enlist the help of a professional! Acne on the back often requires more aggressive treatments than acne on the face. While acne on the face may improve the topical OTC formulations, back acne often requires oral medications or in-office treatments to fully treat the area.
- Consider purchasing the new Clarisonic Pro back extender. While the Clarisonic Pro has always been used to clean out the pores on the back, it has been a struggle to reach all of the way to the middle of your back. The back extender now attaches to your Clarisonic Pro, to help you reach all areas of your back.
- Chemical peels for the back can be extremely helpful for both preventing and treating acne, and lightening marks left behind from old acne.
- Avoid picking at your back. You are more likely to form hypertrophic (keloid) scars on your back than on other acne-prone areas, such as the face. These scars can be disfiguring and difficult to clear.