There are many treatments for acne on the market today. It is hard to say what the best over the counter treatment for acne is. You can find over-the-counter acne solutions everywhere from the drugstore to the department store. Often times, a generic brand will have the same ingredients and benefits as a big name brand. Some of the most popular acne treatments you’ll see in stores or online today are from the following brands:
- Murad – Dermatologist Dr. Howard Murad, an Associate Clinical Professor of dermatology at UCLA, is at the helm of this brand. The products in Murad’s Acne Complex line use salicylic acid, sulfur, retinol and glycolic acid to target acne. Dr. Murad also sells nutritional supplements that claim to reduce blemishes. The Murad product line includes cleanser, treatment gel, lotion, mask and spot treatment.
- Proactiv – This brand, created by Dr. Kathy Fields and Dr. Katie Rodan, is probably best known for their celebrity spokespeople and series of television infomercials. There are three primary products in the Proactiv line. The first is the Renewing Cleanser, which uses “micro-crystal” benzoyl peroxide and exfoliating beads to remove dirt and penetrate the pores. The second step is their toner, which contains glycolic acid and botanicals. The third product in the lineup is a medicated treatment containing more benzoyl peroxide.
- Acne Free – The Acne Free line of products has three different ranges: Sensitive Skin, Moderate Acne and Severe Acne. Salicylic acid, sulfur and benzoyl peroxide are the main active ingredients in the Acne Free line. One of their most innovative products is a quick-absorbing, oil-free foam cleanser containing salicylic acid.
- Neutrogena – One of the most widely known acne cleansers around, Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Acne Wash uses salicylic acid to fight acne. The other products in Neutrogena’s acne line, which range from spot treatments to scrubs, also contain salicylic acid. You can find this brand at virtually every drug store.
- Oxy – Another popular drugstore acne brand, Oxy has been around for over 20 years. The main ingredient found in Oxy’s acne treatment products is salicylic acid. Most of the products in this range contain 2% salicylic acid, which is a known keratolytic agent (peeling agent) that helps skin rid of its outer layer. The Oxy Treatment Pads are perhaps the best-known product from the line.
- Clearasil – Created in 1950 by product inventor Ivan Combe (he also invented Odor Eaters), Clearasil was one of the first acne brands targeted for teenage skin. The main ingredients found in Clearasil products are benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, salicylic acid and resorcincol.