Book an appointment to see if Differin is right for you
There are many viable and effective prescription topical treatments for acne. At Clear Clinic, we make sure to present all of the best options to our patients. One route to go for prescription acne medications is the use of topical retinoids. Differin, which is the brand name for the retinoid, a derivative of vitamin A, known as adapalene, treats active acne blemishes as well as prevent future breakouts. Here are 10 things you should know about Differin and why it might be the right choice for your acne treatment.
1. Differin is available in two different formulations. The Differin Gel contains 0.3% adapalene and is meant for people with moderate to severe acne breakouts. The Differin Lotion contains 0.1% adapalene and is for the treatment of more mild to moderate acne blemishes. The dermatologists at Clear Clinic will help decide which formulation is best for you.
2. Like most retinoids, Differin increases cell turnover and and therefore helps minimize the growth of skin cells that might block pores.
3. Differin, which is a form of vitamin A, works by unblocking pores and sebaceous glands.
4. Side effects of using Differin in the treatment of acne blemishes can include itchiness, dryness and redness.
5. To see the acne-clearing effects of Differin, it typically takes 8 to 12 weeks to see the best results. With a little patience, you'll be very happy with the effects of Differin.
6. Topical retinoids, including adapalene, are the only class of drugs proven to treat current blemishes as well as prevent the formation of new acne breakouts.
7. Differin is a great acne treatment choice for adult acne, as retinoids also help fight wrinkles.
8. Be sure to use sunscreen when using Differin, as retinoids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun
9. Your skin may get worse before it gets better when using Differin. This may be frustrating, but it actually means the medication is working. The medication is treating acne blemishes that were already forming under the skin and would have come out at some time.
10. Differin should be used nightly, after cleansing your skin. Apply a dot on your forehead, cheeks and chin then spread evenly over the entire face, take care to avoid the areas around your eyes and lips. Do not use more than a dot, it will not make the medication work faster and your skin can get irritated from overuse. Consult with the acne specialists at Clear Clinic for proper use.
Fill out the form below to receive your FREE copy of the Clear Clinic Acne Information Guide! Get tips on what causes acne and how to prevent it. Could your diet be causing your break outs? Find out in our comprehensive guide!